The Ministry of Health and Social Protection, in addition to the functions specified in the Constitution and Article 59 of Law 489 of 1998, shall perform the following:
1. Formulate the policy, direct, guide, implement and evaluate plans, programs and projects of the Administrative Sector of Health and Social Protection.
2. Formulate the policy, direct, guide, implement and evaluate plans, programs and projects on Health and Social Protection.
3. Formulate the policy, direct, guide, implement and evaluate the implementation, plans, programs and projects of the national government in health, public health, occupational hazards and control of the risks arising from common, environmental, health and psychosocial illnesses affecting individuals, groups, families or communities.
4. Formulate, implement, coordinate the implementation and evaluate strategies to promote health and quality of life, and prevention and control of communicable diseases and non-communicable chronic diseases.
5. Direct and guide the system of public health surveillance.
6. Develop, implement and coordinate the actions of the national government in matters concerning health in emergency or natural disaster situations.
7. Promote and provide guidelines for strengthening research, investigation, procurement, dissemination and implementation of national and international developments on issues such as the care, promotion, protection, development of health and quality of life and prevention of disease.
8. Develop and evaluate policies, plans, programs and projects related to user protection, promotion and prevention, health and occupational hazard insurance, service provision and primary care, financing and information systems and other components of the Social Security System in Health.
9. Develop, implement and evaluate drug policy, drugs, devices, supplies and biomedical technology, and establish and develop mechanisms and strategies to optimize their use.
10. Establish mechanisms to conduct price negotiations for drugs, supplies and medical devices.
11. Formulate policy and evaluate human resources in health, in coordination with relevant entities, to guide the training, exercise and management of health professions and occupations.
12. Direct, organize, coordinate and evaluate the mandatory social service of professionals and occupations in the health area.
13. Define the requirements for licensing and accreditation of health promoting organizations and institutions providing health services.
14. Regulate the supply of public and private health services, organization of service delivery networks and establish standards for service delivery and their quality assurance, in accordance with the law.
15. Participate in the formulation and evaluation of policies, plans, programs and projects on pensions, economic benefits and other benefits.
16. Participate in the formulation and evaluation of policy for the definition of affiliate systems, user protection, insurance and pension information systems.
17. Formulate health policy related to professional risk insurance and coordinate its application with the Ministry of Labor.
18. Develop and evaluate the policy for the definition of registration systems, ensuring the provision of health services and occupational hazard information systems.
19. Develop and evaluate policies, plans, programs and projects on social promotion by the Ministry.
20. Conduct studies and feasibility analysis, financial stability and balance of resources allocated to health and social promotion by the Ministry.
21. Manage the resources that the Government intended to promote financial sustainability of the General Social Security System in Health, inasmuch as there is no special rule that governs or regulates them, and the administration is not assigned to another entity.
22. Form, with other public or private legal persons, associations, foundations or organizations that support or promote the fulfillment of the functions or purposes inherent in the Ministry of Health and Social Protection, also, allocate budget resources for the creation, operation and investment of the Institute of Health Technology Assessment referred to in the Article 92 of Law 1438 of 2011 or the associations, foundations or entities set up by it.
23. Define and regulate the information systems of the Social Protection System that include membership, revenue, and payroll tax contributions. The management of health information systems shall be coordinated with the Ministry of Finance and Public Credit.
24. Promote actions to disseminate the recognition and enjoyment of the rights of persons in matters of health, social promotion, and care, protection and improvement of quality of life.
25. Promote, in accordance with constitutional principles, the participation of community organizations, non-governmental entities, associative, solidarity and mutual institutions and other participants in the development of health activities.
26. Promote the coordination of the actions of the state, society, family, the individual and others responsible for the implementation of health, occupational hazard and social promotion activities by the Ministry.
27. Promote the study, preparation, monitoring, signing, approval, legal review and ratification of international treaties or agreements related to health, and social promotion by the Ministry, in coordination with relevant entities in the field.
28. Propose and develop, within its competence, technical studies and research for the formulation, implementation and evaluation of policies, plans, programs and projects in health and social promotion by the Ministry.
29. Provide technical assistance in health and social promotion by the Ministry, to the decentralized territorial entities or organizations or by services.
30. Prepare the standards, rules and regulations of health and social health promotion, health insurance and occupational hazards, within the framework of its powers.
31. Manage funds, accounts and special management resources of social protection by the Ministry.
32. Other duties assigned by the Constitution and the Law